Friday, May 23, 2014

Dear Neighbors

Dear Neighbors,

I hear you, the way you speak to your children, Lucy and Henry.
You speak to them, not at them. You put yourselves
in their shoes, stepping
into their perspective
"You really like picking flowers"
inviting them to choose respectfully
"It's considerate to ask someone before you
pick their flowers"
hearing, listening to them as your equals
"But Dad, these flowers are dead..."
"It's still important to ask, Lucy"
and she asks
and the dance goes on.

You give them so much space
to be themselves
to be
the perfection that is
every child
and then, when they insist
on firmer boundaries
you aren't afraid of honoring that request too.
"Alright, then you need to spend some time
in your room"
which I also hear as a way to honor yourself
when you've given all you can.

I'm over here in the house next door
my daughter half the age of your young son
admiring you
soaking it in
grateful to see loving and clear
communication alive and well
between parents and children
feeling affirmed and supported in my own
parenting journey.

The love that you give to your children
is changing the world. It is
landing on me and it is landing
on my daughter.

Thank you,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment